Building Safety Building Safety

If you smell gas inside a property, there are several steps that you should take. Call National Gas Emergency Service number on 0800 111 999.

Before that, taking the following action will help keep you and the property safe:

  • DO open doors and windows to ventilate the property.
  • DO turn off the gas at the mains tap. This can usually be located near the gas meter and has a handle that can be turned 90 degrees. If the gas leak is in a cellar or basement, do not enter and instead evacuate the building.

If you suspect you have a gas leak or you smell gas, it is important that you don’t do any of the following as these could place you in further danger:

  • DON’T turn any power or light switches on or off.
  • DON’T light any sort of flame within the property.
  • DON’T use any appliances that could cause a spark.

Sometimes a gas leak can lead to you feeling physical symptoms such as dizziness, fatigue, nausea and headaches. These symptoms should ease when you leave the property, however we’d advise that you visit your GP as a precaution if you’ve been exposed to a gas leak.

You can use this link to return to the Building Safety section