Current residents Current residents

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single means-tested benefit payable to people who are out of work or on a low income.

It is being rolled out across the UK, and replaces six benefits: Child Tax Credit, Housing Benefit, Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), and Working Tax Credit.

If you're currently still on any of these benefits, you don't need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances. You cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time as these benefits, or at the same time as the severe disability premium.

Universal Credit does not depend on your national insurance contributions and is not taxable. You can claim it if you’re looking for work, unable to work through sickness or disability, a lone parent, caring for someone or if you’re working and your wages are low.

How do I claim?

You can apply for Universal Credit at gov.uk.

If you’re not being able to apply online, you may be able to claim by phone instead. You can claim by phone if, for example, you can't use a computer or you have problems reading or writing.

To start a claim by phone, call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644.

How is Universal Credit paid?

Universal Credit is paid once every calendar month in arrears. It is normally paid in to a bank, building society or Post Office card account. A single payment is made to each household. If you are eligible for housing support it will be included in your Universal Credit payment.

What if I’m in rent arrears?

If you’re in arrears with your rent, your landlord can request housing payments and deductions for rent arrears to be made directly to your rent account.

In order to pay your rent to your landlord it is usually cheaper and more convenient to make payments by direct debit. Please contact our Rent Team on 0114 228 8100 to discuss your options.

Other benefits

Did you know that around £2.5 million in benefits go unclaimed each year? Make sure you're not missing out on money you're entitled to by using a benefits calculator.

We know the process of applying for benefits can be confusing, which is why we're on hand to help. Just give us a call on 0114 228 8100 and Lucy our Tenancy Sustainment Caseworker will be able to provide any support you need with applications.

Or you can use this link to return to the Advice and Support page.

Universal Credit

Helpful resources

GOV.UK Universal Credit - find out more and start your application here

entitledto - calculate what benefits you're able to claim

Turn2Us -  an independent service for people in financial need, helping people to gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help